Friday, April 23, 2010

Why a Walking Stick

Why a stick?

The best explanation I've seen is Peter's on SALW A hiking staff is a big help in saving your energy on a long, hard hike. It helps to reduce weight on your feet so you get tired less quickly. It seems like a good idea to use the hiking stick in one hand for a while and then switch to the other side. Going downhill an employee can be tremendous help. On uneven terrain such an employee can be extremely useful, and you never know when you need it to counter a bear, some idiot dog or an idiot himself. When they cross a river an employee can be used to feel creek bottoms for safety.

Another reason is self defense. May be worth considering if you think it, grab Ted Truscott, or visit his website. Ted teaches self defense and sells a video about it. And hey, tell Ted I sent you, OK? I have a copy of his video, looks like it could be very helpful in teaching you how to defend yourself with a stick.

How long does it take to finish a stick?

It depends on how much work you want to do it. I like to do a "batch" of 25 to 35 at a time and it takes me about 1 1 / 4 hours per stick, on average, including the time it takes to give them five layers of Varathane.

Grinding your sticks:

Remember Victor Kjam who likes to electric shaver so much that he bought it? Well, I like DRUM SANDER so much that I want EVERY stick maker to have one. To help out I got my son (the U.S.) a distribution agreement on them and he sold them. But business was solely responsible for much, and he had to quit. Then my colleague Terry Weber. Terry in NJ. You GottaHave this one! BUT note: Terry has two prices: the regular price and "SUPER-LOW" price for my stick customers. Picture below.

Good Sticks, Rings Spelling:

In Alaska I found a shop that sells D.W. (Poor quality) and took a paper that describes the formation of diamonds in this way:

"Diamond Willow is Alaska's most famous tree. It is believed the" diamonds "are formed by the freezing of a bud that has opened during a Chinook winds or early spring when warming trend is broken by a sudden hard freeze. The cold resulting not only kills the bud and branch, but also penetrates deep into the wood causing the beautifully contrasting "diamonds" you can now see. "This does not agree with more authoritative reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment