Sunday, July 18, 2010

10 Terrific Tips To Ease Summer Stress (for Mom Entrepreneurs)

I woke up at my usual time, around 6:00, with a feeling that the night had been too short and I had forgotten something important. Something had changed and I needed to get ready quick. It took me a couple minutes to remember ... ah yes, school is finished, summer camps start today. So summer is really here!

I was suddenly brought back to that feeling I used to get at the beginning of the semester in University. The first day back, my bag was full of great books and I walked from class to class, but reading lists and assignments. I will return home with a feeling of fear and hopelessness. It was simply impossible to fit in all the material and all of these requirements in the short period of one semester.

So over the next few days and weeks, the fear and horror melt away when I was stuck at work. I would take it day by day, and not only found it interesting and challenging, but also to satisfy. Low and behold, in the middle of the semester, everything was under control and I was meeting my requirements.

The idea of eight long weeks summers holiday for kids and the work of the entrepreneur, which in its nature, the constant daily attention and have movable goal posts, which always seems overwhelming in the beginning of summer.

This year I started to think about the things I could do to take it all in my step and not be overwhelmed. It came out of a list with 10 Terrific Tips to Ease Summer Stress (for Mom Entrepreneurs!):

1st Breathe deeply - Always a good way to begin to de-stress and think positive actionable plans!

2nd Think back to when you were a child - remember how you felt on that first day of summer.

3rd Allow yourself to feel the freedom of summer to determine how much you want and need to work.

4th Make a calendar for the summer - see the identified really helps!

5th Schedule Summer Activities that you can sign kids up for

6th Schedule down time, home time for kids too! - Remember they are on vacation!

7th And do not forget time for yourself? Just because children are more at home does not mean you can not fit in time to work out, see friends, or just read a good book.

8th Get out in nature, take the children on a hike, cycle or run? Just get them out, away from TV screens, Face book, video games and cell phones - and that includes you!

9th Do not repeat. 8 on a weekly basis! And includes a picnic now and then!

10th Accept that it is summertime and that means that you probably want to work less, but not necessarily achieves less. Let it go, relax, enjoy the opportunity to spend more time with your family and find that new balance. The sooner you accept the switch to daylight saving, the more you will enjoy it!

As I write this the sun is shining and I can see kids in the garden, a swinging, one with a ball, a second talk on a phone and baby (not such a baby anymore!) Hopper on the trampoline - it's time to pack work together today and get out!

No comments:

Post a Comment