Monday, July 20, 2009

Mary Kom set to get Khel Ratna award

It was a long wait but the queen of world boxing, MC Mary Kom, never lost hope. The four-time world champion in women's boxing was on Monday overjoyed after getting news of her recommendation for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. "It took quite some time coming. I came close to getting the recommendation a couple of times in the past and I'm happy I have been chosen this time,' the 28-year-old boxer told TOI. "Every time they rejected me in the past, I worked even harder," she added, trying hard to conceal her excitement. Rarely will you see a sportsperson dominating world championships the way Mary has done over the years. Ever since the championships' inception in 2001, she has won a medal in each of the five editions so far - a silver in the first meet and four gold medals thereafter. "This is the reward for my sacrifices. I have gone through very difficult phases in my career. Coming back to the sport after the birth of my twin children was very, very difficult. But thanks to my husband I am here," she said, sounding a little emotional. Mary Kom, who got the Arjuna award in 2003, took a break from the sport in 2006 but made a triumphant return two years later, winning the world championship in China, which was instrumental in getting her the Khel Ratna panel's nod.

Source:/timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Reward-for-my-sacrifices-Mary-Kom/articleshow/4800698.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment